Quantcast

Connect a game to internet

Gaspard Bébié-Valérian
Hello,

New to Pipmak, it fits exactly to what I'm seeking and enough simple to use it according to my skills.
However, I would like to connect an online database to Pipmak. Does the software could, in any way, communicate or retrieve variables coming for a webserver?

- Data parsed from a sql database and with php could be retrieved and displayed in the pipmak engine ?
- Is it possible to include a web-browser within the pipmak software?
- Is it possible to get a rss stream and display it within a pipmak game?

Many thanks for your answers. I hope these elements are doable.

Gaspard

Re: Connect a game to internet

cwalther
Administrator
Welcome Gaspard!

Gaspard Bébié-Valérian wrote:
> However, I would like to connect an online database to Pipmak. Does the software could, in any way, communicate or retrieve variables coming for a webserver?
>
> - Data parsed from a sql database and with php could be retrieved and displayed in the pipmak engine ?
> - Is it possible to include a web-browser within the pipmak software?
> - Is it possible to get a rss stream and display it within a pipmak game?

No network connectivity is provided by built-in functionality of Pipmak (partly because it is not provided by the Lua core libraries, and partly for sandboxing reasons). However, at least the first and third of these should be possible if you build the LuaSocket library (http://w3.impa.br/~diego/software/luasocket/) as a C module loadable by loadlib(). There is some information on that in http://pipmak.svn.sf.net/viewvc/pipmak/trunk/pipmak/extras/luaplugin/ and in old mailing list posts (http://search.gmane.org/?query=loadlib&group=gmane.games.devel.pipmak.*). However, there is no standard system in place yet for locating C modules for different platforms, so you'll have to come up with something on your own there. (I started work on a generic extension mechanism for both Lua and C extensions once, but it's unfinished.)

Hope that helps

 Christian