Quantcast

Development of Video on Pipmak

valerian.g
Hello,

I represent a french team developing a free game using Pipmak engine.
We know that the video integration is not yet done for Pipmak.
However, we’re going to really need this feature and it’s the reason why we
offer our services to develop voluntarily this feature for Pipmak.
We noticed the first video implementation you  would like to do is for Ogg
Theora.

Would you be interested by our proposal ?
Do you have a development standard to give us ?
Have you started to work on this implementation ?
If you haven’t, have you thought about it and what are your advices ?

Thanks for reading and above all thank you for this amazing game engine !

Val

Re: Development of Video on Pipmak

cwalther
Administrator
Hello Val

> I represent a french team developing a free game using Pipmak engine.
> We know that the video integration is not yet done for Pipmak.
> However, we’re going to really need this feature and it’s the reason why we
> offer our services to develop voluntarily this feature for Pipmak.

That would be very welcome! Video support is about the most requested feature
currently, it's quite a chunk of work (I assume), and as you may have noticed
I have been busy with a lot of other stuff besides Pipmak lately.

> We noticed the first video implementation you  would like to do is for Ogg
> Theora.

I don't insist on that, it's just what seemed easiest to me, at the first
glance. I'll accept anything, as long as it's GPL-compatible,
non-patent-encumbered, and runs at least on Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux.

> Would you be interested by our proposal ?

Sure! Even if, hypothetically, it shouldn't turn out to my liking, I think
having something is better than nothing, and it can always be improved later.
So, contributions are welcome. And, of course, you're free to do it any way
you like for your own use (within the licence), no interest or permission
from my part required.

> Do you have a development standard to give us ?

Not really. There's a short document about the general architecture at
<http://pipmak.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Notes_on_Pipmak%27s_architecture>
(will probably move to
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pipmak/index.php?title=Notes_on_Pipmak
%27s_architecture> soonish). In terms of code style, just stick to the style
of the existing code. Once your code makes it into the official trunk, you
will have to live with me messing around in it to adapt it to my ideas (which
develop as I go), but I try to do that in a cooperative way. ;)

In general, I'd say, just go for it, and we can discuss specifics as they
come up. I'm here to help. You're welcome (even encouraged) to use this
mailing list for discussions, and once you have posted something that shows
that you're serious about completing this, I could give you an SVN branch to
work in too, if that's desired.

> Have you started to work on this implementation ?

No.

> If you haven’t, have you thought about it and what are your advices ?

I haven't spent a lot of thought on it. My general idea is that, in the Lua
interface, movies should be objects as similar as possible to images (just
with methods like play, stop, go to a specific frame...) and should be
accepted everywhere images are accepted (patches, node backgrounds).

Thanks for your interest, and let us know about the progress of your game
too!

 -Christian

Re: Development of Video on Pipmak

James C. Wilson
Superb! I hope you succeed, and I look forward to your game!
Any development window planned? I don't mean to push you, just curious..

Thanks,
  James

Re: [pipmak-devel] Development of Video on Pipmak

valerian.g

Thank you Christian for your quick reply.
I think we will keep Theora first as it is in the same line as Ogg vorbis
for sound.
I have started to get the SVN version of Pipmak and began to install it
following the wiki page made by Andrea Viarengo.
Are the version of library describe in the wiki, the ones we must use,
because they are not the latest version and for the moment I take the
latest.
Let me know if i must rollback my installation.

valerian.g writes:
> I have started to get the SVN version of Pipmak and began to install it
> following the wiki page made by Andrea Viarengo.

So you're using MS Visual Studio? As you can see, we currently don't have
VS projects in SVN. If you get yours into a sufficiently generic state to
run on anyone's computer (no hardcoded absolute paths etc.), I'd be
interested in including it.

> Are the version of library describe in the wiki, the ones we must use,
> because they are not the latest version and for the moment I take the
> latest.

Let me check - I haven't updated any of my libraries since the last
release. Pipmak 0.2.7 was built with SDL 1.2.13, SDL_image 1.2.6, SDL_ttf
2.0.9, PhysicsFS 1.0.1, Lua 5.0.3, OpenAL 1.1, libogg 1.1.3, libvorbis
1.2.0.

Current versions (where different) are SDL_image 1.2.7, PhysicsFS 1.0.2
(2.0.0 may or may not work - but thanks for bringing it to my attention,
it seems to have some useful new features!), libogg 1.1.4, libvorbis
1.2.3. These all seem to be minor updates and should work. Don't use Lua
5.1, it has a few syntactic changes compared to 5.0 and I intend to
switch to it with Pipmak 0.3.

 -Christian

Re: [pipmak-devel] Development of Video on Pipmak

rivenwanderer

This is a great idea!

I will point out that the Blender Game Engine and the OGRE 3D engine (both
open-source) have support for realtime Theora video textures.  I don't have
a clue how similar their code is to Pipmak's, but maybe their
implementations can at least provide some ideas.

valerian.g wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I represent a french team developing a free game using Pipmak engine.
> We know that the video integration is not yet done for Pipmak.
> However, we’re going to really need this feature and it’s the reason why
> we
> offer our services to develop voluntarily this feature for Pipmak.
> We noticed the first video implementation you  would like to do is for Ogg
> Theora.
>
> Would you be interested by our proposal ?
> Do you have a development standard to give us ?
> Have you started to work on this implementation ?
> If you haven’t, have you thought about it and what are your advices ?
>
> Thanks for reading and above all thank you for this amazing game engine !
>
> Val

Re: Development of Video on Pipmak

James C. Wilson

How's your game and Ogg Theora implmetation coming, if you don't mind me asking?
Any release date? I really am looking forward to the first full free game using the Pipmak engine.

Thanks,
  James CW