Image Manipulation

aviare
Hello Christian!

How much time has passed!
Sometime I continue to play with Pipmak, I always have very little time to
spend on it, unfortunately!

However I am getting the idea that pipmak remains a great platform and I'm
sorry that remains little known and used.
I think you should release a new version (0.2.8) which includes all the
latest innovations added to the 0.2.7 in recent years.

If you had a little time to do this, I'd like that you add some additional
functions of image manipulation.

In particular, to slightly modify the "drawimage" adding the ability to use
some combination operation in addition to the current mode.

You'll tell me, why? Because I have not abandoned my old project
"autocubic", and I also got to a good point, but I have several problems
with the projection of shadows, which are of great help to make it more
realistic ...
At the moment, I overlap several patches , but by doing so, the effect isn't
the best.
I think it would just add the "mode" parameter:
mode = replace (current mode and used by default if mode is omitted)
mode = or, xor mode =, mode = add, etc. implement new composition mode

Another useful thing: "rotateimage" (and I think also simple to implement)
to rotate an image (even with 90 degree angles would already be useful, but
with any angle would be the best!)
yes, I know that I can rotate the patch, but this feature would be useful
combined with the drawimage function, when I want to "copy" turned areas
from a imagine to another (which it is not rotated ..)

Even a "getpixel(x, y)" would not hurt, could return (r, g, b, alpha) of a
given pixel, this could permit to write in lua other manipulation functions
not directly implemented (or "missed" yet) in pipmak.

The last thing, though perhaps is the most complex, the implementation of
depth buffer in the positioning of 3d patches ....  I had tried, but with
poor results (sigh!), so they I forced to do complex calculations to
determine the order in which I have to draw the patches ...

A warm greeting.

Andrea

Let's save the little pipmak from the forgotten land!

Re: Image Manipulation

cwalther
Administrator
Hi Andrea

Apologies for the late response, I've been very busy.

I mainly have one thing to say about your suggestions: I can add all of them to my to-do list, but that list is pretty long and gets longer by the day, so don't hold your breath. I'm sorry, but I have little time and other priorities these days.

That said...

> I think you should release a new version (0.2.8) which includes all the
> latest innovations added to the 0.2.7 in recent years.

That's probably a good idea, seeing as I'm unlikely to complete the stuff I was planning to put into the next release anytime soon. (I don't even remember what it all was - there was the extension module system, anything more?)

> In particular, to slightly modify the "drawimage" adding the ability to use
> some combination operation in addition to the current mode.

Looks doable, you'd probably have to implement most of the pixel pushing yourself, as SDL's blend modes are a bit limited.

> Another useful thing: "rotateimage" (and I think also simple to implement)
> to rotate an image (even with 90 degree angles would already be useful, but
> with any angle would be the best!)

Same here, SDL doesn't offer that as far as I can see.

> Even a "getpixel(x, y)" would not hurt, could return (r, g, b, alpha) of a
> given pixel, this could permit to write in lua other manipulation functions
> not directly implemented (or "missed" yet) in pipmak.

That shouldn't be hard, as we only have a limited number of pixel formats.

> The last thing, though perhaps is the most complex, the implementation of
> depth buffer in the positioning of 3d patches ....  I had tried, but with
> poor results (sigh!), so they I forced to do complex calculations to
> determine the order in which I have to draw the patches ...

No idea, I never looked into that.

 -Christian

Re: Image Manipulation

aviare
Hello Christian!

Glad to hear that you're still around!

> pretty long and gets longer by the day, so don't hold your breath. I'm
sorry, but I have little time and other priorities these days.

How is true this statement! Me too I'd like to have more time to "play" with
Pipmak .... I understand you perfectly! But I wanted to let you know that
Pipmak has not been abandoned and there are still many fans around!

Good luck and see you soon!

Andrea

Let's save the little pipmak from the forgotten land!

Re: Image Manipulation

Squeak
I have been working on my game for 5 years....
Slide not cubic... though I may use a little...
and
it looks like it will need to be on DVD and not CD as originally intended...
I hadn't allowed for sound files... etc...
I will make a new post with a question about making the game ready to sell...
Without Pipmak it would not be possible...
(I am aware of other engines but...)
The picture is of a fledgling robin I moved out of danger.