Quantcast

LuaSQL and video implementation

Gaspard Bébié-Valérian
Hi Christian,

Many thanks for your answer. Your software and work is amazing and I really like it.
I see there's a solution for connectivity between lua and sql : Luasql (http://www.keplerproject.org/luasql/manual.html)
However, you confirmed me that I should recompile and work within the source code in C to get it working.

I think I'll have to find a developper to make this because I'm not used to this language and I think I'll lose a lot of time while a professional would do it in a little time (I guess but not totaly sure :) )

May I ask you an other question.
The video isn't supported yet in Pipmak. I read somebody on the list offered to implement it but it seems no news have been given since. Did they give up or did I miss something?
Otherwise, I thought an easy way to get video within Pipmak would to get animated gifs working. I made a try but it didn't work. ut the solution might be easier to get working than with video as animated gifs are only pictures. What do you think about this idea?

Best regards,

Gaspard

Le 01/03/13 02:58, [hidden email] a écrit :

Welcome Gaspard!

No network connectivity is provided by built-in functionality of Pipmak (partly because it is not provided by the Lua core libraries, and partly for sandboxing reasons). However, at least the first and third of these should be possible if you build the LuaSocket library (http://w3.impa.br/~diego/software/luasocket/) as a C module loadable by loadlib(). There is some information on that in http://pipmak.svn.sf.net/viewvc/pipmak/trunk/pipmak/extras/luaplugin/ and in old mailing list posts (http://search.gmane.org/?query=loadlib&group=gmane.games.devel.pipmak.*). However, there is no standard system in place yet for locating C modules for different
 platforms, so you'll have to come up with something on your own there. (I started work on a generic extension mechanism for both Lua and C extensions once, but it's unfinished.)

Hope that helps

 Christian

------------------------------

Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_feb

End of Pipmak-Users Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1

Re: LuaSQL and video implementation

Urs Holzer-2
Hi

First of all, it is nice to see that Pipmak is still in use and
Christian is still around. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to create
a game with Pipmak during the last years as I once dreamed of.

Gaspard Bébié-Valérian wrote:
> [...]
> Otherwise, I thought an easy way to get video within Pipmak would to
> get animated gifs working. I made a try but it didn't work. ut the
> solution might be easier to get working than with video as animated
> gifs are only pictures. What do you think about this idea?

In fact, you can already use a serie of pictures to achieve animations.
See for example my "Full Animation Demo"
http://www.andonyar.com/rec/2006-03/pipmakfullanimation/
or the ending of "The sphere", which you can download at
http://pipmak.sourceforge.net/showcase.php

In order to achieve this, use a timer to replace the last frame with the
new one, where every frame is just a normal picture.

Greetings
Urs

Re: LuaSQL and video implementation

cwalther
Administrator
Hello Gaspard

Sorry for the delay, I'm a bit busy at the moment.

> I see there's a solution for connectivity between lua and sql : Luasql (http://www.keplerproject.org/luasql/manual.html)
> However, you confirmed me that I should recompile and work within the source code in C to get it working.
>
> I think I'll have to find a developper to make this because I'm not used to this language and I think I'll lose a lot of time while a professional would do it in a little time (I guess but not totaly sure :) )

Yes, LuaSQL is a C extension just like LuaSocket, so the steps to get it to work with Pipmak are the same in both cases. You don't need to recompile Pipmak for that, but some working knowledge of how C software is built helps, since there are no detailed instructions for beginners yet.

> The video isn't supported yet in Pipmak. I read somebody on the list offered to implement it but it seems no news have been given since. Did they give up or did I miss something?

I haven't heard any more than you, so yes, apparently they have been distracted by other shiny things, as is usual in small open-source projects like this.

> Otherwise, I thought an easy way to get video within Pipmak would to get animated gifs working. I made a try but it didn't work. ut the solution might be easier to get working than with video as animated gifs are only pictures. What do you think about this idea?

I don't expect that to be much easier. The difficulty (or work required) is mostly with introducing the concept of displaying time-dependent imagery to Pipmak, what file format that imagery comes from (GIF or more video-oriented formats like Ogg) is relatively irrelevant as long as you have a library that reads the format. Given the severe limitations of the GIF format, I don't think it's worth supporting.

 -Christian