Making Game ready to sell...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Making Game ready to sell...

Squeak
I am a designer not a programmer...
One day in the not too distant future (6months - 2years) ...
I intend to have completed my game...
... it has taken over 5 years as I have had time...
... guess who got in a complete muddle with command lines ...
... there are other things I need sort out ...
and
it will be ready to put on disc in a box and go to a shop for people to buy....

What do I need to do to make it locked so it can't be copied and make it look professional..?

Is it possible to put a video at the beginning and then go to the start page..?
maybe a video at end?
A large number of animation slides is possible...

I saw one Pipmak demo game where all the files had been turned into numbers and letters..
what is it and is that what needs to done?

I have tried to find a publisher but many want a real time, fast paced, vr, .... blarrrrr...
that's if they bother to reply...

I assume I need to employ someone but what do I need doing...? ...
The picture is of a fledgling robin I moved out of danger.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Making Game ready to sell...

jmcmusicinc
Hi there,

You really should update this... probably to Unity since it sounds like the graphics don't need the same high-end treatment that most Unreal games need.

If the logic of the game is solid, a proficient Unity person could probably do it pretty quickly, and then you could self-publish to Steam or Apple or Google stores.

Just a thought!
JC
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Making Game ready to sell...

Squeak
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
The picture is of a fledgling robin I moved out of danger.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Making Game ready to sell...

Squeak
In reply to this post by jmcmusicinc
Thank you for your reply...
Jeanine?
Though I don't totally understand what you say...
(apologies... this post has evolved to covering various elements from different angles)

I like Pipmak because it is light for the end user and developer and runs quick on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, ... could it work with Android? ... (UI?)
remember not everyone has a recent spec computer...
... and there are no hidden extras like tracking the user etc...
(I assume everyone reads software terms and conditions..! bits like use of camera and microphone etc..!!)

... and another minor catch...
... the 2 'U's you state ... may imply they are free...
BUT
If you publish... I understand they want money to use their products...
Which I haven't got...
I have just quickly checked both the 'U's' and 'Cry' they do charge though the price has been reduced dramatically .... it is also by a sort of subscription ... so you have to keep paying... not sure what happens if you don't pay and you start selling loads...
assets etc are also not all free....
Look at the projected 'hockey stick' showing sales... and possible blips...

A friends daughter is doing an accounting degree... they learn to use certain makes of software... and in a way they are hooked to those packages...

I use a PC on Win7 (and can change HD to Linux and Win7...) with a long list of software I have evaluated...
GIMP 2, Audacity and Open Office are free and for what I need beat other software...
I have held onto most of the evaluated software in case I get stuck...

I have downloaded various software over the years, some known ones that turn out to be buggy that people rave about... and almost all say something like 'free to use' etc ....
then...
... for the person to start putting all the time and effort in ...
learning it and constructing what they imagine...
only to then realise that if they publish ...
... £$£$£$£$£$ ... #@~ > !!!
One graphics programme I looked at costs £15000 - to monetarily translate... more than a new small car costs...

Hope that makes sense...........
The picture is of a fledgling robin I moved out of danger.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Making Game ready to sell...

cwalther
Administrator
Squeak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like Pipmak because it is light for the end user and developer and runs
> quick on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, ... could it work with Android? ... (UI?)

Pipmak does not currently run on Android (or iOS), and porting it would be a rather large undertaking, so I don't expect it to happen.

> ... the 2 'U's you state ... may imply they are free...
> BUT
> If you publish... I understand they want money to use their products...
> Which I haven't got...

To my knowledge, Unity and Unreal Engine are free to use up to some limit of revenue, and once you have that revenue, you can presumably also afford the royalties (Unreal) / subscription (Unity). But I may be wrong, I don't know very much about them.

 -Christian


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Pipmak-Users mailing list
[hidden email]
news://news.gmane.org/gmane.games.devel.pipmak.user
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/pipmak-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Making Game ready to sell...

Squeak
I'm not interested in using them.........
it wouldn't work for my game...
mainly because the amount of people, time and money required...
There are some nice games on those and other platforms...
but...
the style of game play leads to a different experience...
for example...
Obduction vs Riven

Which is more immersive?
The picture is of a fledgling robin I moved out of danger.
Loading...