Quantcast

[Pipmak-Devel] Inactivity warning

cwalther
Administrator
Due to this
<http://support.mystonline.com/serverstatus/urulivelive.php>, I will
probably spend most of my free time in Uru rather than working on Pipmak
until the beginning of April.

This means that probably the 0.2.7 release will be delayed until then,
too. What remains to be done, off the top of my head:

- update the demo project (almost done)
- restrict drawing operations to runtime-created images and implement
copying from file-loaded images, to fix (or sidestep) some of the bugs
found by Andrea
- check loadlib on all platforms
- work around rendering issues on iBook 16MB
- explain why I probably won't fix the problem with stacked cubic nodes
for this release
- general cleanup of readmes, version numbers everywhere, etc.
- build and test on Linux and Windows

See you in the cavern (those who are there)!

  -Christian

Re: [Pipmak-Devel] Inactivity warning

Urs Holzer-2
Christian Walther wrote:

> Due to this
> <http://support.mystonline.com/serverstatus/urulivelive.php>,

This is rather sad. I considered buying this game since long, but never
did it. I guess it is possible to enjoy the different places even
without a server, right?

> I will
> probably spend most of my free time in Uru rather than working on
> Pipmak until the beginning of April.

Enjoy it! Pipmak will not walk away (since you have not implemented
feet.)

Re: [Pipmak-Devel] [pipmak-devel] Inactivity warning

NigeC

Christian Walther wrote:

> I probably won't fix the problem with stacked cubic nodes
thats a shame

I'm just having a look at Myst online before its to late!

-----
http://nigecstudios.co.uk NigeC Studios

Urs Holzer wrote:
> Christian Walther wrote:
>
>> Due to this
>> <http://support.mystonline.com/serverstatus/urulivelive.php>,
>
> This is rather sad. I considered buying this game since long, but never
> did it. I guess it is possible to enjoy the different places even
> without a server, right?

Most of the ages are in the offline version from 2004 (Uru Complete
Chronicles = Uru Ages Beyond Myst + To D'ni + Path of the Shell), but
some new ones are only in the online version. And, of course, only the
online version allows you to explore together with people from all over
the world, which is surprisingly much fun even for a loner like me.

The current online version from GameTap ("Myst Online Uru Live", MOUL)
is completely separate from the old offline version from Ubisoft, you
don't need to buy the latter to try the former. Although, you're in
Switzerland, like me, right? Unfortunately MOUL is only officially
available in a limited range of countries, Switzerland not among them. I
decided to make an account through the back door and enjoy it while it
lasts when I heard of the cancellation.

> Pipmak will not walk away (since you have not implemented feet.)

Your turn to implement them ;)

NigeC wrote:
> Christian Walther wrote:
>> I probably won't fix the problem with stacked cubic nodes
> thats a shame

Heh, now don't take my quote out of context! ;)

It's just too complex to cram into this release. It's a fundamental
issue with how the hand and pan tools interact with overlaid nodes, it's
not just a superficial bug. I need to spend some thought on how to solve
this properly. The current behavior, where on overlays always the hand
tool is used, indepentently of what tool is selected on the background
node, makes sense when the overlay is e.g. a tools palette - clicking on
the tools palette while having a paint tool selected shouldn't paint on
the palette, but select a new tool. But of course this behavior is
inapropriate when the overlay is part of the scenery. Perhaps we need to
distinguish between "palette" overlays and "scenery" overlays, or
perhaps the pan tool needs to be made a special case, or something.

  -Christian

Christian Walther wrote:

> NigeC wrote:
>> Christian Walther wrote:
>>> I probably won't fix the problem with stacked cubic nodes
>> thats a shame
>
> Heh, now don't take my quote out of context! ;)

i missed out "for this release" in my last post, so it made it kinda sounded
out of context lol.. sorry

I'm working on getting the rooms/models looking right, depth of field, room
scale etc so I'm a long way off needing any new features and fixes

I looked at Uru last night.. wow its amazing, its a shame its going, i don't
have much time to explore it right now tho :-(
Fingers crossed someone may step in and save it?

-----
http://nigecstudios.co.uk NigeC Studios