[Pipmak-Devel] [pipmak-devel] New to Pipmak development, could use some tips

[Pipmak-Devel] [pipmak-devel] New to Pipmak development, could use some tips

shadowphile

Hi all.  I decided to get my fingers wet with the development side and been
busy all night installing and stuff.
I'm developing on Windows, and I see the project could use a native-side
Windows approach.
I've had some partial luck but I'm running into some weirdness, so I'm just
gonna run several statements out and see what you people think of my setup..

1 - After looking around for an IDE I decided to try MinGW Developer Studio.
It seems a little stale (comes with no documentation (?!), is somewhat
minimal, and includes MinGW 3.3.1 as it's latest version.)
I've been able to compile many of the libraries for pipmak like ogg and
vorbis using the default compiler.
After some weirdness though I installed the latest MinGW compiler and tools
but the IDE gives me an errror when I try to point it to the newer compiler.

Anybody recommend a better IDE?

2 - I then installed TortoiseSVN, downloaded the latest trunk, started
working on the compile (still using MinGW 3.3.1).  Haven't gotten to the
linking yet, but I've been able to compile most of the pipmak files.
However, I've been stalled all night with a compiler error in the
pipmak_windows.c file:  It doesn't seem to like 'DWORD (-1)'.  My C is a
little rusty, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interpret that.  Could
this be a Linux/Mac convention I need to change?  I'm still assessing the
magnitude of the conversion process to a native Windows build.

Here's the total test.c file:
____________________________
#include <windows.h>
void test(void) {
        int attr = DWORD (-1);
}
_____________________________

and here's the error I get:
"error: parse error before "DWORD"

I was HOPING it was a compiler problem that I could fix by updating to a
much new version, but as I stated above I ran into problems.

I've done a lot more firmware coding than apps, so assume I've got giant
gaping holes in my basic knowledge of building PC-level code and the problem
might be obvious :)

Thanks, and any or all suggestions or comments about tools, approaches,
whatever will be much appreciated.  I'm looking forward to finally getting
to the editing part!
matt

Re: [Pipmak-Devel] New to Pipmak development, could use some tips

cwalther
Administrator
shadowphile wrote:
> 1 - After looking around for an IDE I decided to try MinGW Developer Studio.
> It seems a little stale (comes with no documentation (?!), is somewhat
> minimal, and includes MinGW 3.3.1 as it's latest version.)
> I've been able to compile many of the libraries for pipmak like ogg and
> vorbis using the default compiler.
> After some weirdness though I installed the latest MinGW compiler and tools
> but the IDE gives me an errror when I try to point it to the newer compiler.
>
> Anybody recommend a better IDE?

 From the point of view of the compiler, MinGW doesn't seem like a bad
choice, considering that I produce the official Windows build with MinGW
(with a cross-compiler though, so the makefiles are written with a Unix
shell environment in mind and probably won't work on MSYS). Andrea has
done some work on compiling Pipmak with MSVC. So either of these two
compilers should work without too many problems now.

Can't say much about IDEs for Windows, the only one I'm familiar with is
MSVC 6 (and I've never tried to use it for Pipmak). There's also the
cross-platform ones like Eclipse and Code Blocks that I assume should be
able to work together with the Mingw GCC.

> 2 - I then installed TortoiseSVN, downloaded the latest trunk, started
> working on the compile (still using MinGW 3.3.1).  Haven't gotten to the
> linking yet, but I've been able to compile most of the pipmak files.
> However, I've been stalled all night with a compiler error in the
> pipmak_windows.c file:  It doesn't seem to like 'DWORD (-1)'.  My C is a
> little rusty, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interpret that.  Could
> this be a Linux/Mac convention I need to change?  I'm still assessing the
> magnitude of the conversion process to a native Windows build.
>
> Here's the total test.c file:
> ____________________________
> #include <windows.h>
> void test(void) {
> int attr = DWORD (-1);
> }
>
> and here's the error I get:
> "error: parse error before "DWORD"

I don't see the expression "DWORD (-1)" anywhere in pipmak_windows.c,
but anyway: it looks like you're trying to compile C++ code as C. In
C++, type(value) is a valid cast, while in C it needs to be (type)value.
Can you try with (DWORD)(-1)?

  -Christian