Quantcast

[Pipmak-Devel] rotation order string

aviare
Hi,

about rotation order, the string to use is "xyz", but z doesn't mean
rotation around axys Z, but it means rotation around an axis pointing inward,
I think this could generate confusion...what do you think?
(using "xya" instead?)

Bye.

Andrea

Let's save the little pipmak from the forgotten land!

Re: [Pipmak-Devel] rotation order string

cwalther
Administrator
Andrea Viarengo wrote:
> about rotation order, the string to use is "xyz", but z doesn't mean
> rotation around axys Z, but it means rotation around an axis pointing inward,
> I think this could generate confusion...what do you think?
> (using "xya" instead?)

It's true that z doesn't mean the global z axis, but neither does x mean
the global x axis nor y the global y axis. In my opinion, "xya" is more
confusing than "xyz". If anything, we should change all of them,
including the "anglex" and "angley" properties, and I'd rather not do
that because the latter are already out in a released version.

The reason that "angle" is not called "anglez" is that it's already
useful for normal 2D patches, and is the only meaningful angle there,
while "anglex" and "angley" are part of the "advanced" 3D positioning
syntax. Being user-friendly in the basic case justifies the
inconsistency for the advanced case here in my opinion.

  -Christian