Problem with hotspots linking

James C. Wilson
Hi all,

I mailed this list a few months ago about this issue and after a few exchanges, no more replies got to me for months. So I'm resstarting this, hope no-one minds:

Here's the hotspotmap. It isn't just that the colors render differently, the target nodes of each are also swapped around. So the red(first color indexed) hotspot, gets both its color and its target node swapped with the purple(fourth color indexed) hotspot, and so on.
Each hotspot's target and color and what I actually get:
As coded and painted:
target =16, color=red
target=14, color=green
target=12, color=yellow
target=13, color=purple

As seen in game:
target =14, color=green
target=13, color=purple
target=12, color=yellow
target=16, color=red

Notice that, oddly enough, yellow doesn't change.
Thanks, James

hotspotmap.png (578 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with hotspots linking

cwalther
Administrator
> I mailed this list a few months ago about this issue and after a few
> exchanges, no more replies got to me for months. So I'm resstarting
> this, hope no-one minds:

Oooh, I'm sorry! That must have completely slipped by my attention.
Please don't hesitate to ask again sooner in such situations. It
sometimes happens that I'm busy when a question comes in and later
forget about it.

Anyway, in the attached image (top row) you see the color palette of
your file, as seen by the "Rearrange Colormap" dialog in GIMP. Compared
with the original color palette of hotspot-palette.gif (bottom row), you
can see that the colors have actually been reordered, as I suspected.

You can fix that using that dialog, if you're using GIMP.

  -Christian

palette.png (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with hotspots linking

James C. Wilson
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Any idea how this could have happened, and how to avoid it?

Thanks,
 James

> I mailed this list a few months ago about this issue and after a few
> exchanges, no more replies got to me for months. So I'm resstarting
> this, hope no-one minds:

Oooh, I'm sorry! That must have completely slipped by my attention. Please don't hesitate to ask again sooner in such situations. It sometimes happens that I'm busy when a question comes in and later forget about it.

Anyway, in the attached image (top row) you see the color palette of your file, as seen by the "Rearrange Colormap" dialog in GIMP. Compared with the original color palette of hotspot-palette.gif (bottom row), you can see that the colors have actually been reordered, as I suspected.

You can fix that using that dialog, if you're using GIMP.

-Christian

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Colocation vs. Managed Hosting
http://p.sf.net/sfu/internap-sfd2d

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Problem with hotspots linking

cwalther
Administrator
> Any idea how this could have happened, and how to avoid it?

Not without knowing how you made the image.

  -Christian

Re: Problem with hotspots linking

James C. Wilson
Christian,

As far as I can tell, the standard method.

I opened eqirect.bmp in GIMP, created a new layer, opened hotspot-palette.gif, inkdropped the first color from the palette image, painted a hotspot on new layer of equirect.bmp, repeated three times with next three colors on palette. Removed bottom layer of equirect.bmp to leave only colors and white background. Changed mode of image to Indexed, and selected hotspot.palette.gif to index the image. Saved as hotspotmap.png.

How's that look?
> Any idea how this could have happened, and how to avoid it?

Not without knowing how you made the image.

  -Christian

Re: Problem with hotspots linking

cwalther
Administrator
> I opened eqirect.bmp in GIMP, created a new layer, opened hotspot-palette.gif, inkdropped the first color from the palette image, painted a hotspot on new layer of equirect.bmp, repeated three times with next three colors on palette. Removed bottom layer of equirect.bmp to leave only colors and white background. Changed mode of image to Indexed, and selected hotspot.palette.gif to index the image. Saved as hotspotmap.png.

OK, I can reproduce the problem by following these instructions. It appears that GIMP takes the liberty of reordering the colors when you have "remove unused colors from palette" checked in the indexed conversion dialog. Unchecking that box fixes the problem. This results in a larger color palette than strictly necessary, but the effect of that is probably negligible. I haven't found an option for trimming the palette to the used colors afterwards in GIMP.

 -Christian

Re: Problem with hotspots linking

James C. Wilson
Ah, okay! Thanks for your assistence.