Sweet Home 3D and other

aviare
Hello,

Sweet Home 3D (http://www.sweethome3d.com/index.jsp) is an amazing
cross-platform tool (it is entirely written in Java) which permits,
in a very simple way, to create house interiors (and also exteriors).

I think it could be very usefull to generate scenes for Pipmak, rendering is
quite good, with shadows and reflections.

It's possible to export spherical panoramas into equirectangular format.

Who knows a opensource/free converting tool for passing from equirectangular
to cubic?

I have found "Pano2VR", which is very nice, but it isn't free
(Trial version put watermasks on outputs)

An idea: Why didn't include, inside Pipmak, a series of tools/functions
to convert various panorama formats?

For example, saveequirect() is very usefull function,
so we can include also other functions like:

bottom_img = getfromequirect(equi_img, "bottom")
left_img = getfromequirect(equi_img, "left")

What do you thinking about that?

See you

-Andrea

Let's save the little pipmak from the forgotten land!

Re: Sweet Home 3D and other

cwalther
Administrator
Andrea Viarengo wrote:
> Who knows a opensource/free converting tool for passing from equirectangular
> to cubic?

No idea. If all else fails, my tool of choice would be POV-Ray, but if
you're not already familiar with it, its learning curve is probably
disproportionate to such a trivial goal.

> An idea: Why didn't include, inside Pipmak, a series of tools/functions
> to convert various panorama formats?
>
> For example, saveequirect() is very usefull function,
> so we can include also other functions like:
>
> bottom_img = getfromequirect(equi_img, "bottom")
> left_img = getfromequirect(equi_img, "left")
>
> What do you thinking about that?

I think it would be very inefficient to do this at runtime.

It seems to me that the proper solution for the problem would be to
implement support for equirectangular panoramas in Pipmak.

If conversion is necessary, then it should be done at authoring time,
and a tool for that could just be shipped along with Pipmak. (OK, I
guess it could be integrated as well.)

  -Christian

Re: Sweet Home 3D and other

Stefan Großhauser
I'm not an expert in panoramas an all these things, but it seems to me
that there should already be enough scripts and programsfor this task,
using the PanoTools? (I just did a little google search - but maybe I am
getting something completely wrong)

http://archive.bigben.id.au/tutorials/360/readme/scripts.html
http://www.jotschi.de/?p=391
http://vinayhacks.blogspot.com/2010/11/converting-equirectangular-panorama-to.html

--
Glücklich kann sich derjenige schätzen, der im Brett vor dem Kopf ein
Astloch gefunden hat.

Re: Sweet Home 3D and other plus equirectangular-to-cubic converter

aviare
Thanks Stefan for the link.

I have also found an insteresting java cross-platform tool:

http://www.panoramically.com/equirectangular-to-cubic-converter

The tool can be download from bottom of that page,

It's just one jar archive, I tryed and works fine.
It works from command line, here a Windows example:

java -Xmx1024m -jar EquirectangularToCubic.jar \
     -outputdir C:\out_folder \
     -interpolation lanczos2 \
     C:\inp_folder

You put an equirectangular picture inside folder inp_folder,
run command and get six pictures inside out_folder

Parameter -Xmx1024m is a JVM option to increments ram used by java
(in this case I put 1024MByte, but you can decrease this value)

This tool is distributed with GPL license, so should be simple add a
java GUI....

An idea for Christian:

What do you think about adding the equirectangular node?

equirect("picture.png")

Bye

Andrea Viarengo wrote:
> An idea for Christian:
>
> What do you think about adding the equirectangular node?
>
> equirect("picture.png")

Yes, that's what I meant by