The Sphere - a pipmak game made in less than two weeks

The Sphere - a pipmak game made in less than two weeks

excentri

Hello everyone!

Me and a friend of mine have made a small game with the pipmak engine. We
are studying game graphics and decided to make a game in two weeks using the
pipmak engine. It was fun to make the game and I hope you want to test it
out.

You can download the game  http://blackpolygon.com/files/theSphere.rar here

It's pretty hard to know what to do in the game as it's not obvious how to
make progress. But if you give it some time and read everything you may find
out what to do. Otherwise ask me if you're stuck and I can give you some
hints.

Re: The Sphere - a pipmak game made in less than two weeks

cwalther
Administrator
Hello excentri!

Wow - I'm blown away! This is awesome. This must be the most
professional completed game I have seen in Pipmak to date. It has a
story, great graphics, animation, sound, music, cursors, everything -
and all done in two weeks. Hats off! I'm really impressed by what you
have been able to achieve using Pipmak's limited capabilities.

I would like to feature this on the Showcase page (http://pipmak.sourceforge.net/showcase.php
). May I?

I think I have completed the game (if completion means dying :)), but
I haven't looked at the code yet. A few things that caught my
attention (I assume you're aware of most of them and taking care of
them just didn't fit into the two weeks):

(SPOILER ALERT: those who haven't completed the game, stop reading
here.)

- I found it a bit irritating to be unable to walk directly from one
corner of the room to the next, without going back to the center.

- I was quite confused by some things that show a clickable cursor,
but don't appear to do anything when clicked - I was never quite sure
if that was supposed to happen or if it was a bug that would
potentially preclude me from making progress: The control panel on the
bed door (is that a bed?) and the "Games" button in the computer.

- I was going to count the marked floor tile on the "Sphere
Blueprints" screen in the computer under the same category, but in
hindsight I have empirically determined that it actually does
something. Perhaps a short sound or some other subtle kind of feedback
would make that more obvious?

- I spent quite some time unsuccessfully trying to click (or stand) on
the special floor tile after activating it in the computer, until I
discovered that it only has a hotspot on its upper half. Is there a
reason for not covering the whole tile with the hotspot?

- When walking away from the opened floor tile with the lever in the
"open" position, it still appears in the "closed" position from the
other nodes.

- The "Sphere Blueprints" screen shows some kind of control panel in
the bathroom next to the door that isn't actually there in reality. Is
that an oversight or a deliberate red herring?

- You should override the global keydown handler to stop the annoying
"unused key 97 pressed" warnings and prevent users from accidentally
showing hotspots, opening the Lua command line, or doing other
potentially spoilery or dangerous things.

- There is no obvious way to quit in mid-game, other than to discover
the Q or esc keys. (And it occurs to me that there should be a way of
having Pipmak prompt you to save your game before quitting.)

- When loading a saved game, the music does not resume, and after
that, approaching the door to space after having unlocked it produces
a Lua error related to it.

I hope you had fun using Pipmak, and if you have anything to say about
your experience with it, I'd love to hear it!

  -Christian

Re: The Sphere - a pipmak game made in less than two weeks

excentri

Hello Christian!

I'm glad you like it. :)

Of course you can use it in your showcase page. That would be great!

Yes, you completed the game. No happy ending here. :D

I know the bugs and irritating problems you mentioned. We would have
polished the game some more if we had the time. But we only had two weeks to
make it as complete as we could.

I'm really impressed that you really completed the game. There is much lack
of feedback and you have to guess your way to the end, but you managed to
understand it anyway. Hats off! :)

As for the saving, I haven't even tested to save the game myself. The game
is very short and we didn't thought it was necessary to save.

We really like 360 panorama games and we chose to use pipmak cause it was so
easy to learn. None of us have any advanced programming or scripting skills
but we did the best we could.

It's possible that we're going to polish the game further if we find some
free time.

Christian Walther wrote:

> [...]
>
> - There is no obvious way to quit in mid-game, other than to discover
> the Q or esc keys. (And it occurs to me that there should be a way of
> having Pipmak prompt you to save your game before quitting.)
>
> - When loading a saved game, the music does not resume, and after
> that, approaching the door to space after having unlocked it produces
> a Lua error related to it.
>

> I hope you had fun using Pipmak, and if you have anything to say about
> your experience with it, I'd love to hear it!
>
>   -Christian

> Free Software Download: Index, Search & Analyze Logs and other IT data in
> Real-Time with Splunk. Collect, index and harness all the fast moving IT
> data
> generated by your applications, servers and devices whether physical,
> virtual

Re: The Sphere - a pipmak game made in less than two weeks

James C. Wilson
This looks awesome. Christian's already stated all of the small "bugs" there are, so I'll just say I'm quite impressed:)

James

Re: The Sphere - a pipmak game made in less than two weeks

Urs Holzer-2
Christian Walther wrote:
> - The "Sphere Blueprints" screen shows some kind of control panel in
> the bathroom next to the door that isn't actually there in reality. Is
> that an oversight or a deliberate red herring?

I thought it was intentional. The database clearly shows that the
developers of the sphere were in a hurry. Some features have not been
implemented, for example the communication between the inhabitants of
the spheres. I guess the missing control panel also is such a feature.

excentri wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> Me and a friend of mine have made a small game with the pipmak engine.
> We are studying game graphics and decided to make a game in two weeks
> using the pipmak engine. It was fun to make the game and I hope you
> want to test it out.
>
> You can download the game  http://blackpolygon.com/files/theSphere.rar
> here
>
> It's pretty hard to know what to do in the game as it's not obvious
> how to make progress. But if you give it some time and read everything
> you may find out what to do. Otherwise ask me if you're stuck and I
> can give you some hints.

By all means, this is an excellent game. I managed to complete it. As
Christian said, the game has it all. It even has the special feeling we
know from the Myst games. All in all, this is the first pipmak game
which can really be called a complete game.

One thing that comes to my mind: Running the game in full-screen mode is
good, but please do not set the resolution. The game looks much better
on my system if I choose the maximal possible resolution but activate
interpolation.

Greetings
Urs

Re: The Sphere - a pipmak game made in less than two weeks

Squeak
This post was updated on .
Wow...
Graphics, music etc ... are amazing...
What did you use?
You have all the elements of the story line...
What inspired your game?

It took several... tries....
I had a think...
and tried again...
and
several other thinks...
eventually...
I also completed the game...

Certain hotspots should be bigger and (if I remember right) cursor change will then help the player...

As an example...
when 'Riven' was play tested they found people couldn't workout how to get though the wooden gate at the beginning of the game, to get into the rotating room via the cave...
To get through the gate you needed to crawl under it...
but there was no reason to click below the gate...
So they put a 'Rivenese' style knife there...
and when you clicked on it you found yourself in the cave...

On the other end of the scale...
the handles in the clock tower on 'Myst' island...
show certain types of players need a less impulsive style of play...
The picture is of a fledgling robin I moved out of danger.