[pipmak-devel] Pipmak for iPhone and/or PSP

[pipmak-devel] Pipmak for iPhone and/or PSP

jmcmusicinc

just out of curiousity... I'm not a developer but I've been using Pipmak for
some teaching of interactive concepts... how difficult would it be to create
a version that runs on the iphone? or perhaps the PSP?

Thanks for any ideas on this...

Re: [pipmak-devel] Pipmak for iPhone and/or PSP

Aidan Gauland
jcowen wrote:
> just out of curiousity... I'm not a developer but I've been using Pipmak for
> some teaching of interactive concepts... how difficult would it be to create
> a version that runs on the iphone? or perhaps the PSP?

Christian would probably be able to best answer this, but I have a few things
to say on this topic.  I seriously doubt that Apple would sign it, because the
Pipmak engine is completely separate from a Pipmak game, so anyone could use
the Pipmak binary packaged with a game to run their own game.  Pipmak could be
modified to run only projects that have been signed by Apple, and this would
probably not break anything.  And as long as there is a version of SDL for the
iPhone, I think Pipmak could be ported to the iPhone, but I don't know about
the PSP.

But Christian is the boss here, so listen to him, not me. ;)

  -Aidan

Re: Pipmak for iPhone and/or PSP

cwalther
Administrator
jcowen wrote:
> how difficult would it be to create a version that runs on the
> iphone? or perhaps the PSP?

Technically, I'd expect an iPhone port to be feasible, and it's
actually on the list of things that I'd like to do sometime (that
doesn't mean I'll get around to it, however). Some adaptations might
have to be made for the limited resources, e.g. scaling down big
panoramas, and for the touch UI, but the basic capabilities are all
there - it has OpenGL, OpenAL, and SDL exists too.

There is, however, a political problem, as Aidan has already
mentioned: Even if I do port it, I won't be able to publish it as a
standalone application, because it violates Apple's SDK conditions:

> An Application may not itself install or launch other executable
> code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a
> plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or
> otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an
> Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's
> Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).

It may be possible to publish a whole game made with Pipmak, as long
as Pipmak is inseparably coupled to it and can't be used to run
arbitrary content.

I can't say anything about the PSP as I'm not familiar with that system.

   -Christian

Re: [pipmak-devel] Pipmak for iPhone and/or PSP

jmcmusicinc

Thank you gentlemen. That makes perfect sense... what a shame...

JC

Christian Walther wrote:

> jcowen wrote:
>> how difficult would it be to create a version that runs on the
>> iphone? or perhaps the PSP?
>
> Technically, I'd expect an iPhone port to be feasible, and it's
> actually on the list of things that I'd like to do sometime...
>
> There is, however, a political problem, as Aidan has already
> mentioned: Even if I do port it, I won't be able to publish it as a
> standalone application, because it violates Apple's SDK conditions:
>    -Christian

Re: [pipmak-devel] Pipmak for iPhone and/or PSP

IrishRed863

I've used FMod and Torque 2D, to name two well-known external libs, in iPhone
apps that were approved by Apple. While Apple reserves the right to reject
an app, they apparently do not tend to do so on those grounds alone. In
fact, during the license process the FMod guys reported that they've not had
a single iPhone licensee have a rejected app yet.

I realize the presence of an interpreter may be a little different, but I
think (and may be wrong here) that Torque is also running an interpreter for
its script.

Just additional data points on this topic.

IrishRed863 wrote:
> I've used FMod and Torque 2D, to name two well-known external libs, in iPhone
> apps that were approved by Apple. While Apple reserves the right to reject
> an app, they apparently do not tend to do so on those grounds alone. In
> fact, during the license process the FMod guys reported that they've not had
> a single iPhone licensee have a rejected app yet.

Thanks for the information. Good to have another iPhone developer around.

> I realize the presence of an interpreter may be a little different, but I
> think (and may be wrong here) that Torque is also running an interpreter for
> its script.

As far as I can see, the issue is not presence of an interpreter (and
even less use of third-party libraries), but the possibiliy to interpret
user-supplied code that is not part of the signed application. So, a
Pipmak game should be fine, but Pipmak as a standalone application wouldn't.

  -Christian